Isaiah Wilson’s since deleted tweet that he is finished as a Titan in one sense puts the onus back on the club and general manager Jon Robinson regarding the 2020 first-round pick’s future.
Wilson sent out, then deleted Monday night a tweet that said, “Im done with football as a Titan … No further comments.”
A source indicates that Wilson's status on the Titans' roster remains unchanged despite the tweet.
Before Wilson deleted the tweet, it was screen shot by many on social media, creating yet another firestorm for Wilson.
Robinson stated last week to reporters in no uncertain terms that he was not happy with the former Georgia Bulldogs tackle, who stated among other things that Wilson basically had to decide if he wants to play pro football, and that the Titans’ vetting of him last year did not reveal any indication as to the types of problems Wilson went through his rookie season.
He was involved in two car accidents, one that ended with a DUI charge, was placed two different times on the Covid-19/reserve list, had an incident in training camp at Tennessee State University, and has taken to social media numerous times in questionable situations and conversations.
Wilson, who was suspended for one game last season and was inactive most of the year, played only three offensive snaps and was final placed on the non-football illness list on Dec. 9 to remove him from the Titans active roster.
Last week, a source with direct knowledge of the situation stated that the Titans at that time had no intention of releasing Wilson and absorbing the $5.38 million cap hit that would come with that (unless they can recoup his signing bonus).
However, that source also indicated that Wilson needed to get his (act) together quickly or else.
That said, Wilson’s latest misstep digs the hole a little deeper on his status with the Titans, who now have even more ammunition to move on from a player who appears completely disinterested in playing football.